American Homestay Network – Boston
Boston is full of history! It was founded in 1630, which makes it one of the oldest cities in the U.S. The city has some of the best museums in the country and you can visit the places that are significant to the start of this country! Among all that history are some of the best colleges in America including Berklee and Harvard. Boston is waiting for you!
Fun Facts About Boston
- The Boston University Bridge on Commonwealth Avenue is one of the only places in the world where a boat can sail under a train passing under a car driving under an airplane.
- The colored lights on top of the old Hancock building tell the weather: “Solid blue, clear view,” “Flashing blue, clouds due,” “Solid red, rain ahead,” and “Flashing red, snow instead” (during the summer, flashing red means the Red Sox game is rained out).
- The largest art theft in U.S. history occurred in Boston on March 18, 1990, when 12 paintings collectively worth $100 million were stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum by two thieves posing as police officers.
- Harvard was founded in 1636 and was the first college established in North America.
- A golden pinecone sits on top of the gold dome at the State House.
Homestay Parter Institutions in and Around Boston
Located on the Green Line, adjacent to Boston University, The Boston Language Institute serves students and professionals who must make rapid progress in speaking and writing English. More than 55,000 students and professionals have completed English as a Second Language Course and when combined with a Homestay, you might even finish faster.
Other Colleges and Universities in and Around Boston
Explore The City
Try a Meetup!
Meetup.com is a collection of groups that put on events called meetups. You can join groups based on your interests. It is a great way to meet new people in Boston. Here are few groups to start out with:
Boston has a mild climate and has an average temperature of 72 in the summer and 28 in the winter. You can experience the 4 seasons in the city and with being on the coast it can be quite foggy at times.
Boston was at the center of the American Revolution. Take a minute to learn about the history of this city, how’s it grown, and the people that live there today.