American Homestay Network – Chicago
Chicago is full of art, history and culture. The city has amazing museums and one of the largest aquariums in the country. The city is known for it’s nightlife. Among all that fun, there are fantastic colleges and universities including The School of the Art Institute of Chicago and the University of Chicago. Come to the windy city and experience American culture at it’s best!
Fun Facts About Chicago
- The “Historic Route 66″ begins in Chicago at Grant Park on Adams Street in front of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- The first Ferris wheel made its debut in Chicago at the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition.
- Lincoln Park Zoo, one of only three major free zoos in the country, is one of the country’s oldest zoos with an estimated annual attendance of 3.5 million.
- The first all-color TV station debuted in Chicago (Channel 5).
- The world’s first skyscraper, the Home Insurance Company, was built in 1885.
Schools in Chicago
- Lewis University, Romeoville
- Loyola University, Chicago
- Northeastern Illinois University
- Northwestern University, Evanston
- Solex, Chicago and Wheeling
- St. Augustine, Chicago
- University of Illinois, Chicago
- Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Chicago
Explore The City
Chicago is a vibrant place and you don’t need to spend a lot to get to the heart of it. Go exploring!
Chicago has typical midwest weather; hot and humid in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter. It rains only about a 3rd of the year and the sun shines for the rest of the year.
Chicago is a city with a lot of interesting history. Take a minute to learn about the Great Fire, The White City and about the people that live there today.