American Homestay Network – North Carolina
North Carolina is a state in the Southeastern USA, that reaches from popular Atlantic Ocean beaches to the majestic Appalachian Mountains. The state motto (“First in Flight”) honors the Wright Brothers, who flew their first plane in Kitty Hawk on the beaches called Outer Banks. The state’s largest city is Charlotte, home to two professional sports franchises (Panthers, Hornets) while the state’s capital Raleigh has one (Hurricanes).
North Carolina is home to some very fine and well recognized universities including North Carolina State, Duke and Wake Forest. The University of North Carolina (UNC) system has 17 institutions also has very fine universities, with the flagship in Chapel Hill and others across the state. Think you’ve seen sports rivalries? There is nothing like ACC basketball and the emotions around the Cameron Crazies.
Fun Facts About North Carolina
- North Carolina is the largest producer of sweet potatoes in the nation. They make awesome fries!
- The first English colony in America was located on Roanoke Island. Walter Raleigh founded it. The colony mysteriously vanished with no trace except for the word “Croatoan” scrawled on a nearby tree.
- The first miniature golf course was built in Fayetteville and Babe Ruth hit his first home run in Fayetteville in 1914.
- Winston-Salem was created when the two towns Winston and Salem combined, the cigarettes names came later. North Carolina is famous for tobacco.
- Pepsi was invented and first served in North Carolina in 1898
Homestay Partner Institutions in and Around North Carolina
Hopewell Academy is a small, independent day school in Cary, North Carolina. We serve students in grades 6 through 12. Hopewell boasts a 4 to 1 student to teacher ratio. We strive to serve each student on an individual basis. With rigorous curriculum and a college-preparatory emphasis, Hopewell prepares its students to succeed at the university level and beyond.
Each INTERLINK student creates a learning goal and a promise (academic, linguistic, personal, social or professional) and then INTERLINK makes a commitment to support that promise. Adding a homestay option means you can get to your goals faster and with additional support of a local host.
Other Colleges and Universities in and Around North Carolina
- Bennett College
- Davidson College
- University of North Carolina – Charlotte
- Johnson & Wales University, Charlotte
- North Carolina State University
Most of North Carolina has a humid subtropical with hot summers and pleasant winters. For most areas in the state, the temperatures in July during the daytime are approximately 90 °F (32 °C). In January, the average temperatures range near 50 °F (10 °C). The mountains in the west of that state often act as a “shield”, blocking low temperatures and storms from the Midwest from entering the populated lowlands making for very pleasant weather on average.