American Homestay Network – Savannah
Savannah, a coastal Georgia city, is separated from South Carolina by the Savannah River. It’s known for manicured parks, horse-drawn carriages and antebellum architecture. Its historic district is filled with cobblestoned squares and parks such as Forsyth Park shaded by oak trees covered with Spanish moss. At the center of this picturesque district is the landmark, Gothic-Revival Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist.
Fun Facts About Savannah, Georgia
- Savannah is located at the mouth of the Savannah River and was an important port city for the industries of cotton and lumber for many years.
- Savannah was founded in 1733 by General James Edward Oglethorpe, who had sailed here from England.
- Savannah’s rich soil and great port location made it a hub for the cotton industry and slave trade until the Civil War brought sea-blockades.
- The Historic Savannah Foundation was founded in the 1950s and has helped preserve and restore landmarks and historic sites.
- Parts of the movie Forest Gump were filmed here.
- Girl Scout founder Juliette Gordon Low was born here and also began Girl Scouts in Savannah.
Homestay Partner Institutions in Savannah, GA
Savannah State University is located in the beautiful and historic city of Savannah, Georgia. The 201-acre campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The English Language Institute (ELI) prepares non-English speakers to succeed in undergraduate or graduate studies at an American university. The students will take intensive classes in Listening/Speaking, Writing/Grammar, Reading, and Computer-Assisted Language Learning.
Other Colleges and Universities in Savannah, GA
- Savannah College of Art and Design
- South University
- Armstrong State University
- Savannah Technical College
Explore The City
Try a Meetup!
Meetup.com is a collection of groups that puts on events called meetups. You can join groups based on your interests. It is a great way to meet new people in Savannah.
The climate is subtropical and is good for outdoor activities year round.